Thread: County Maps
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 05:43 AM   #2
Badbob

DeLorme Atlas And Gazetteer

These are books that cost $20 each. You should be able get one for your state at WalMart. I live 20 miles from the state line and had to go to a WalMart in Georgia to get one of these for Georgia. The Georgia WalMart carried maps for Georgia, Alabama and Florida. Anyway these are great maps so long as you are staying on numbered highways. Back roads are on the maps but are missing details such as are the roads paved. When crossing county and state lines on a back road the pavement can end at the line. These maps do not indicate this.

Don't get me wrong these are great maps. I use these and Google to plan rides. On the down side they are expensive. At $20 per map if you need to plan a trip across 10 states maps are going to cost you $200. They are also big. I haven't yet figured out how to carry one of these on a bike and keep it dry much less 10 of the.

All these are the best paper maps I have found that you can purchase retail.

Also note that these maps have latitude and longitude info on them and match GPS grids. If you have a GPS this may be important to you. I don't have a GPS. :sad: