View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 AM   #24
alanmcorcoran

Re: Stalling during first fifteen minutes

I blame society.

1) Being a mechanic used to be a respectable job. Doesn't seem that way anymore. Plus, you don't even get a mechanic, you get a "tech." The sales guys make more money than the techs and the big money is in F&I and other high profit (read low value) activities.
2) I believe in the 80/20 rule. Meaning I probably am more able than 80% of so-called mechanics to fix my bike myself. I also suspect that, if you are a member of the 20% that know what they are doing, you are working at the BMW or Porsche store, not at a Kawa/Yamaha/Suz/Honda dealer. Bottom line, the odds are stacked against the service customer.
3) The "service writers" (a job that did not exist 40 years ago) get more respect than the guys that fix things. The repairmen are treated like serfs, plugged in and thrown away like a filter and used oil. The money goes to the service manager, store profits, etc. - not to the mechanics.
4) Regardless of what they claim, most dealers do not give a crap about customer satisfaction. They are only concerned with their immediate survival and they are leveraged up to the hilt. The leveraged economics mean you can't take the time to do things properly, you can't afford experienced people and you need to "clear tickets" as fast as possible. No one is rated or rewarded on their mechanical genius - they are rated on the dollar value of the service tickets they clear.
5) To get good service, you have to become a problem customer, one that threatens the dealers cutomer service rating with the manufacturers, or just becomes a big distraction from clearing tickets. Even then, most dealers simply don't have the ability to provide service even if when they want to.
6) Mistakes cannot be admitted to or re-visited. They must be flatly denied. Mistakes cost the dealership money. Fixing mistakes not only doesn't make new money, but consumes resources that could be making money.

I didn't get this way overnight. And not every experience I've had with dealers has been bad. But MC dealers set a new low.
I also used to work for a car dealer and, although management talked a good game, we stank at service. We had a prima donna in the paint and body shop who thought he knew better than the manufacturers, we had guys go directly from working the sprayers in the car wash into installing brake pads, we had no end of people bringing their cars back for the same issues over and over. In the 12 months I was there we went through 6 service managers. We had one German mechanic that knew what he was doing (Dieter) and he only worked on Mercedes. He took his time, did what needed to be done, and did not care when the service manager, or the owner, got on his back about his pace. He knew that he was the only guy at the dealership, maybe the only guy in Upstate New York, that really knew how to fix a Mercedes (and yes, folks, they need lots of fixing, just like a Ford or Chrysler [okay, maybe not like a Chrysler]) and the dealership would be in a world of hurt if he left. The guys that worked there wouldn' let anyone else in the shop touch their cars except Dieter.

I have to find me a Dieter that knows GZ's.