View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #13
mr. softie

Re: Top 3 factors in Motorcycle Traffic Fatalities

The left turn where the driver didn't see you is the classic, followed in my experience with the pulled out of driveway/side street/while looking right at you but didn't see you, and the ever popular changed lanes into you but didn't see you, riding around a corner/curve and didn't see the obstruction/slippery spot/dog/pedestrian/sharpness in time etc. Lots of hazards to be sure. In almost every instance the severity of injury is proportional to the motorcyclists speed. The higher the speed at impact the greater the severity, with death the final rush. While it is exhilarating to ride fast, the peace of mind available to the rider exercising restraint and good judgment is ultimately more sustaining.

Keep an eagle eye out. Ride as though your life depended on your awareness of your situation. The unexpected is just a lack of attention on your part. Driver getting ready to pull out? Be ready! Cover your brakes and slow down so that if he does try to kill you he won't succeed. In JWR's photo the rider, if lucky and more skilled than he appears, will simply low side and scrape himself and bike up, that is if no one is in oncoming lane. If he is unlucky or tries to save the bike he will most likely high side and be severely injured. He definitely was not riding within his abilities as a rider. BTW, how did that turn out?

Great pic by the way Jerry, reminds me of me when I was much younger and I rode as though I were invincible, which I found out I was not, but lived to tell the tale nonetheless.

Login or Register to Remove Ads