View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 11:52 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Re: Winter Weather Riding Tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
I got some leather overpants last year and they really do block 100% of the wind and keep your lower body much warmer, especially if you have something warm like thicker fleece underneath. Don't forget the taller socks to keep the wind out.
Most importantly, don't forget the windshield, especially one that extends out over the grips. Eliminating wind and reducing wind-chill factor is one of the best ways to stay warm, and may eliminate the need for electrical warmers which are not practical on the GZ as it has limited alternator output. You really don't want any other major stress on the battery and electrical system on this bike if it's that cold.

The GZ will easily support Symtec grip heaters with no problem and are very good overall. A windshield that extends wide enough across to protect the hands from wind is a very good idea. Having just ridden Lynda's "M-50" with a wide windshield was quite a treat. I found the bike to be very calm behind the shield and only had a slight breeze across my eyes with the face shield open on my FF helmet. The same conditions may very well occur with a GZ.

Oh yah, for your feet get some Merino Wool socks. They are great and do not itch.