View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Any opinons or experiences with either of these two biks

Any particular reason you are looking at these two bikes? Is this just what happens to be available locally?

The reason I ask is because there are tons of good bikes out there in the price range and category you are looking at.
Everything from 400cc up to 750 in different skins and all made by different manufacturers.
What exactly are you looking for? Highway cruising? Riding up and down mountains? Passing in any gear?

I love the Secas but they didn't really start whetting my appetite until the early 90s. There were a couple of mid-range bikes that are super cheap now, like the Honda Ascot and the old Vulcan, in both 500 and 750. A buddy of mine has an 86 750 Vulcan and that thing was very smooth and comfy when I rode it back for him after he bought it. Great little everything bike. Easy to maneuver in town and very solid and stable on the highway. Decent mileage too.... something like 52mpg was the first tank after we cleaned it all up.

Shaft drive

Also, for slightly newer bikes, the Kawasaki made a class throw-back called the W-650 that was super awesome but didn't sell well enough to keep them on the market. They can be had for the price of a 250.

There are also loads of GS500s and the air/oil cooled Katanas out there for cheap and they a little more modern rides.

Login or Register to Remove Ads