View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
bob21

Oh No Headlight, tail light, and running lights misbehaving

Greetings,

I have a 2002 GZ250 that has recently developed some electrical problems.

First, the headlight stopped working. Good bulb, good fuses, clean contacts in the hi/lo beam switch. I tested each visually and with an ohm meter.

Then it worked again, but the tail light and running lights stopped working. The brake light still works, and the turn signals work perfectly. The bulbs and fuses are all good, tested visually and with an ohm meter.

At the fuse-box, testing for DC across the fuse terminals, I have full voltage going to the taillight, which makes sense because the brake works. The wiring from the fuse box to the tail light assembly looks intact and the contacts I have identified are all clean.

But the voltage to the headlight fuses is very low (when the headlight is not working. It still works occasionally).

I also checked the kill switch and starter switch - they looked fine. The clutch and side stand switches are working properly. The bike runs great. Just no head, tail, or running lights!

Someone suggested it may be the ignition switch, so I replaced it with an Emgo ignition switch - no dice.

Just finished a short ride at the start the headlight was out. After ~5 minutes it came on!

What am I missing?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by bob21; 10-25-2014 at 06:41 PM.