View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
Solaran

Re: Did the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzillaScrapping
so I should start with just the footpeg mounting bracket, but i don't need to get the footpeg too?
if that doesn't fix it up, would the next step be to replace the shifter? it looks like based on the bar that connects to it via the ball joint i would need a special tool to remove it and then connect it?
Solaran, you mentioned the circlip and the eclip that needs to be removed, any special tool/technique that would make it easier?
I would say take the bracket off first. where it sits against the body of your bike it should be perfectly flat. If you look at #2 on this diagram Foot Rest Diagram you'll see a little bar heading in towards the body of the bike (left is the front of your bike). If #2 is bent and that part is 'curled' away from your frame, it'll move the shifter out of alignment as well. If you look at your bike and the shifter arm is straight heading down to the bracket, then the shifter is probably okay.

Also, if you really want to get a good look at the entire assembly, once you've removed the bracket screws, it'll all hang loose from the shifter assembly (#26 here: Shifter Diagram). At that time, you can actually swing the footrest/bracket combo up to the shift lever and unscrew the entire section from the rest of the shifting assembly. It's difficult to explain, but easy to do. It's kind of like spinning a wrench.

Regarding the e-clip (#9 from the Foot Peg Diagram) and the circlip (#38 from the Shifter Diagram), a pair of fine point needle nose pliers will be your friend. I couldn't find mine, so it involved a lot of swearing with some regular pliers.

I was worried that my shifter was bent way out of whack, so I'd ordered a replacement bracket and shift lever. All it took was replacing the bracket. Of course, I didn't know that until I had both parts and took the whole thing apart. Oh well. Think I'll keep the shifter for my next stupid stunt....

And I'd had mine for about 2.5 - 3 weeks when I dropped it. First time in the rain....

Login or Register to Remove Ads