View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #59
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome195 View Post
Yeah, I was thinking early '80s......

WW would you expand on the "Japan had to shrink their 750 models to make H-D more competitive" ?

I'd love to know more about that.

thanks
IIRC that was when H-D was making lower quality bikes and not really seeking to improve their product. Japan was making very competative bikes for less and had more reliability. H-D was in a failing position and had the U.S. government mandate smaller engines and likely higher tariffs to compensate. Heaven forbid a National Icon fail in the U.S. H-D did pull up their socks and get with a better program in time. The Japanese 700's were amazing bikes. Just a slightly smaller 700 engine in the in the normal 750 bike. H-D found out that the Japanese could build a better "Harley" that didn't leak oil or cost a fortune to buy. Competition did wonders for the market place. Japan kept H-D in the game by forcing them to build better bikes. And the winner is the rider. None of the manufacturers build a dumb bike anymore. They need profits and good bikes generate money.

Would I buy a H-D now?? NO!! I would buy Japanese, they have always served me well and have been cost effective toys in the long run. Maintenance has always been a high cost with some bikes and the Japanese do well for the rider. Now if they would just make better seats for our butts.