Thread: Ever crashed?
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Sarris

Re: Ever crashed?

From my previous post "The Story"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
In April 2006, I was riding my 2005 Yamaha 1700 Roadstar (120 hp Barons modified) with another biker, enjoying the ride and just minding our own biz. We came around a blind corner onto a cage that had come to a full stop in an area where it is illegal to turn. She had no turnsignal on, but was turned slightly to the right. My buddy was on my right. He swerved between a power pole and a sign, and thought he was going to hit her. I swerved left to go around her (there was no oncoming traffic) and just as my front wheel got beside her left rear tire, she made a left, and I t-boned her at 35 mph. The momentum made made the bike snap sideways to the right, crushing my right foot and ankle (from about midcalf down) between the cage and the bike. After 4 hours of orthopaedic surgery and 7 days in the hospital, I was relegated to a wheelchair and was totally non-ambulatory for 6 months. I now have a 12" long scar on the outside of my right ankle where a titanium plate and 10 screws was inserted and there is a bunch of miscellaneous metal bits and pieces holding all my foot and toe bones together. Every bone in my ankle and foot was broken, as well as both leg bones that were broken off just above the ankle. The surgeon commented that had this happened 10 years ago, I would have lost my foot. I was wearing riding boots, a leather jacket, gloves, and a 3/4 helmet.

The woman driving the cage never saw me. She also had just enough insurance to get a tag in Florida, and no other assets. I got nothing. My $18k bike was totalled.

It was was only time in 35 years of riding that I got clanged, so I got it out of the way. I don't limp and I can still ride. Just another very valuable life lesson.

Shit happens. End of story.

:oops: