View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
davesisk

Re: Top speed on gz250

Hey guys...I've ridden my lady friend's GZ-250 to test it out, and I can only get it up to about 52 - 53 mph in 5th gear. Based on what I read here, it should be able to get up to at least 65-70 or so. (I weight about 170 lbs, so I don't think my weight is the issue.) It's a 1999, and seems to run well, start easily, and generally be in pretty good shape. It does seem to burn just a little bit of oil...maybe 1/4 quart every couple hundred miles. I don't know all the details of the stock exhaust, but there is the one stock opening in the cone-shaped muffler and looks like two additional 1/2" or so holes have been drilled into the back plate of the muffler. (I'm a Suzuki S40 owner, and drilling holes in the back of the S40 stock exhaust is a pretty common mod, so I wouldn't be surprised to find a similarly common mod on the GZ250). So, maybe if the exhaust has been drilled, then adjusting the fuel-air mixture to be a bit more rich would give it a bit more power? Just guessing here (the S40's run lean stock, so adjustment the fuel mixture to a bit richer is another common mod for the S40's...again I wouldn't be surprised if the GZ250 wasn't the same given they are both "thumpers".).

That said, any other ideas on what might be limiting it's top speed so much?

TIA,
Dave

Login or Register to Remove Ads