View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #25
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz250_mike View Post
I just got a used GZ250 from 2003. It doesn't have a windscreen, and It has a little less power then I hoped.

Full Throttle it maxed out at 115kph (71mph) on the highway, with a little ducking, on a slight downhill. On slight hills it struggles to maintain above 95kpm (60mph).

Is this the best it has, or what should I look at tweaking first? Chock looks great, changed the oil.

Thanks!
Don't go rushing in to do tweaks. Learn what the bike is capable of doing as designed. A slight uphill will definitely slow the bike a bit. Don't despair, there is a downslope eventually. We sometimes expect a lot from a small displacement bike and that just won't happen in most cases.

The GZ is an excellent small bike that is very popular as a trainer/first bike. It won't try to kill you or overwhelm you while developing your skills. Master your skill for a couple years and ten move up to a larger bike with more zip if you want. You may find that the GZ is all you really need if you don't want to do highway travelling and competing with faster traffic.

When Lynda was still with me she started on the GZ and eventually upgrade to the Suzuki M50. It was a fine bike with both town and country manners. I found the 800cc V-twin to be just right. Maybe it's the old guy in me but too much power and the inability to control the speed just gets you to a crash site first. Even with my Honda 700cc bike I find myself wanting to just twist and go sometimes. Bad idea considering I don't won't heal well if something goes sideways.

Login or Register to Remove Ads