View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
ImaginativeFig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq View Post
Do you THINK you had oil in the bike before you let it sit or did you definitely have the proper amount of oil in the bike? That's a big difference when it comes to brainstorming, ya know what I mean?

To rule out the possibility of memory error, just change the oil. It's all of $10 and you'll know, going forward, that there is oil in the bike and that it's at the proper level.
I said "could have sworn" and I meant "could have sworn" I have a terrible memory, so it could have been gone for a while, but I tend to check the oil level and my friends who looked at the bike also didn't note it being low, so... there's that.
But yeah, there's no oil, so obviously I need to "change" it (not sure how well that word applies if there isn't any to take out, but I'll open the drain and see what happens.) You put a pan under for oil to go into, but what happens after that with old oil? You put it in some container and put it under your pillow for the oil fairy to take?

Quote:
After you change the oil, clean the engine and fins and underside of the bike. This will allow you the opportunity to check for any leaks that might be there.
How do you guys recommend cleaning the fins? They're fairly deep and narrow... also what liquid(s) are recommended?

Quote:
The bolts that people recommend torquing aren't just the exhaust bolts. Those are usually tweaked when people have an exhaust leak. The head bolts are what get snugged down when you're seeing more oil on the cooling fins. You remove the tank to access these, IIRC. Torque specs are in the service manuals.
So should I try doing something with those or just wait and see where/if oil pops up when/if I get Coot (the bike) up and running?

Quote:
Take the battery off the bike, drive over to Autozone or your other favorite autoparts store, and they will test the battery for free. I can almost bet money that it's bad. And even if this isn't the biggest Gremlin, it needs to be done.
I'll do that, except for the driving bit... with Coot outta commission it's feet or bus.

Quote:
Is your gas fresh?
No, it's from October and has been sitting in my tank through whatever weather's happened since then. Much like the oil fairy, I don't know how the gas fairy works. Am I gunna hafta by gas cans and take them somewhere for disposal?
How do you even get gas out? I have a feeling opening up the top and turning the fuel tank upside down is not the correct technique.

Quote:
Have you pulled the plug just to give it a good little cleaning (replacing is only like $5)
The spark plug has been replaced since the bike broke down and has not magically fouled while sitting dormant.

Quote:
Aired up the tires? ("Why? I want to it to crank" - just do it.)
Uh... I guess I could... it would be a lot easier to do if I could ride the bike to air though...

Quote:
You can do this. You don't need to take it to a shop. We are all here for you.
You guys are kinda awesome, just thought you should know. (That's not just at Jonathan, the rest of you are cool for your replies and I've been going through random other threads, reading and learning)

Last edited by ImaginativeFig; 01-23-2014 at 12:54 PM.