View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 12:03 AM   #16
Water Warrior 2

I can't tell you which bike to buy but..............If this is your first bike you don't want to spend a lot on it and then drop it a couple times. And you will more than likely. It happens to all of us. If you get the cheaper bike you will have more funds to do any maintenance and needed parts. Both bikes will need new tires, that is a fact if they both have the original rubber on them. Any tire over 5 years is due for replacement even with lots of tread. The 2001 will likely need a valve check/adjust. The 2009 will need one by the end of the season if not sooner. See where I'm going with this?

I was in the same situation with the latest purchase and opted for an older bike(1983)or a 2004 with minimal miles on it. Both would have needed at least $1000 spent on renewing tires, fluids, general maintenance and assorted stuff. I saved myself a lot of cash with the older bike and feel fine with a bike that is more than old enough to vote. Besides I get to tinker for a few weeks to get it to fit right and be mine.