View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 05:59 AM   #5
dannylightning

Re: idle speed thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Sounds like a decent idle speed. The idle speed has no real bearing on the shift points. Increasing the idle is the same as opening the throttle a bit and leaving it there. Maybe you are just learning to wind it up a bit more before shifting and reaping the rewards.

I have known how to shift for a long time.. let me word this a bit different. i could feel it running out of torque every 10 miles per hour, what i ment by that is the bike would stop accelerating but he rpm's kept going up than if i gave it a little more throttle it would start accelerating again. right after i adjusted the idle it accelerates all the way through to the higher rpms with out running out of torque..

i did replace my old air filter witch looked pretty bad. half of it was covered in fluid and it smelled like gas it was nice and dirty too. i ordered a new one and put it in the other day.. been raining so i hadent really rode the bike. i had to readjust my idle after i stuck the new filter in there but i did not bother with that till today, so i was thinking i just adjusted my idle and its hauling ass not really thinking about the air filter i just changed out a few days ago witch could have caused this improvement. but......

i know nothing about a carborater or how they work besides it opens the flap and dumps gas in the hole. common sence tells me that it shouldn't have had any thing to do with it running better. but since i know nothing about them and i adjusted it and it did run better so i had to find out for sure, and now when i think about the worn out air filter being replaced and the bike preforming much makes way more sense.

it is important NOT to have a low idle on a single cylinder or you can damage your engine since it puts extra strain on it. that is why i titled this engine idle thread. the best and max shift points were stated witch is good to know also. so even if the part about the bike preforming better on a higher idle speed is not correct at least there is some good info in the thread..

Login or Register to Remove Ads