View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 06:34 AM   #13
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNinja77
Quote:
Its not about turning out expert riders its about keeping you form running into a tree or killing yourself by some other method.
Exactly my point of concern......the riders I was referring to only passed by pure luck, it was quite obvious to myself (and several other classmates) that they were having a great deal of difficulty operating their motorcycles and were not what you would call "in control" of their machines. I don't say that as a way of looking down on them, I just say it in the pursuit of safe riding. A lot of people don't understand that just passing the BRC doesn't suddenly make you a skilled street-rider, they get the completion card and then just jump on the street without giving themselves any further training. Like you said, it's just about teaching the bare-bones basics, it takes time and miles to really learn the ins-and-outs of street-riding; and the only time you really stop learning is when you stop riding....either by choice or by death.

Being good friends with two ex-MSF instructors has really opened my eyes on how things have changed within the MSF over the years as more and more people have picked up motorcycing as a means of transportation. Like I said, with the classes filling up and having waiting-lists, what can you really expect......All I know is regardless of riding experience, it's a great idea to brush up on critical riding manuevers and techniques on a regular basis. I try to make it out to my local abandoned warehouse about every 2 or 3 weeks as a general rule. If the drivers are being especially dumb (like now, in the summer for instance), it can be a weekly trip. The warehouse is on the back-roads way to the grocery store, so it's just part of my routine. Spend a couple minutes just re-learning the limits of the tires and brakes, and then I'm on my way. Just my .02
Ride safe
I understand your concerns. The do fail people here. No one failed in my class. However on test day we picked up an additional student that was taking the test for the third time. She made it.

Ask your instructor friends if they have any restrictions on what they can tell the students in the classroom.

I don't think they spend near enough time on how to avoid getting yourself into a situation where an accident is likely.

If you haven't read these you might find them interesting.

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well
David L. Hough http://tinyurl.com/2bd228

More Proficient Motorcycling: Mastering the Ride
David L. Hough http://tinyurl.com/2ukmn5

Login or Register to Remove Ads