View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
Badbob

Quote:
How would I go about aligning the sprockets?
There are lots of methods and tools around for aligning sprockets and chains. I use the MotionPro Chain Alignment Tool. It clamps to the top of the rear sprocket over the chain with the rod extended along the chain. You sight along the chain and and adjust the right adjuster until the chain is parallel with the rod. Tighten it all down and recheck your chain tension. If you make you tension adjustments carefully and equally on both sides in the future and it will not go out of alignment unless you do something like remove the rear wheel.

The other methods I found and rejected used strings or straight edges to accomplish the same thing but I found these to cumbersome. With this tool you only need to remove the chain guard to mount it Once it is in place it holds itself so you can watch it while you make the adjustment. This makes it much easier and quicker. The rod is adjustable to different lengths and it can be adjusted so its usable on either side of a bike or on the bottom of the sprocket. It probably would not be very accurate on the bottom. The nylon screws and aluminum clam body are soft and might help prevent scratches. If you ride your bike much your probably are not to concerned about scratches on your sprockets.

You could make one form a steel rod and a C Clamp if you have the tools and the know how. I think getting it all square would be the hard part. I have the know how but not the metal working tools to make one so I bought one.

There is a laser tool for this but I didn't bother to look figuring it would be way to expensive and it would use batteries. It would be like using a high tech sledge hammer to kill gnats.