Thread: Bike check ups.
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #20
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: Bike check ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Got the bike back and learned two things:
It does NOT like cold weather (40F) and the shop set the idle speed WAY too low.

Alan might be able to get by with loping his 1800 at 600 rpm but the little one-banger won't perform good off the line until you get it up around 1K (guessing a bit at the actual speed).
When I first picked my GZ up, the guy I bought it from started it up and the idle was set too low also. He was used to big touring cruisers and I figure he assumed I was looking for a big sounding thump from it. It also had the pipes drilled, so it would sound "bigger". Even having never owned a bike before, I immediately knew the idle was low and turned it up as soon as I got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
If you can kind of hear the thump-thump of each engine stroke then your idle speed needs to be turned up AND you might be amazed at how much better it rides that way.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the idle setting only affect the bike at idle? How would it make the bike actually ride better at speed, or with the throttle even cracked open? Other than affecting performance in stop & go traffic, I don't really get this.