View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
bjrscj

Start-up Problem

UPDATE:

So I checked the hose, and fuel came out just fine. So that's ruled out.

I didn't have all the tools to get the spark plug out, but I was able to start the bike. I pressed the starter while turning the throttle, and it managed to start. The problem is it would start to die as soon as I let off the throttle. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a spark plug become unnecessary once the chain reaction is started? I am under the impression that the explosions in the engine and the heat generated there mean the spark plug is only used to start the bike up. If that's correct, it seems like the carburetor is the next logical step in the chain.

If it is the carb, do you think getting gasoline additive would work if I can get the fuel to pump through again as I was able to tonight? Or do you think it would just be a waste of money and I should manually take it apart? Thanks again for all your insight.

ORIGINAL:

I've got a 2003 and it's been running great. However, after the weekend, I went to start up the bike, and it won't start. It turns very strongly, but it won't catch. It's sounds like the engines fine but the gas won't ignite and give that nice low rumble (well, low compared to just turning). Is this a starter issue? My only guess is that it rained for a few days and I didn't have a chance to cover my bike. Could that even affect it at all? That's the only thing out of the ordinary that happened recently. Thanks for your help!

Login or Register to Remove Ads