View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
DAN

Re: Larger Front Tire (and raise the front Fender)

The Front fender is bolted to the forks from inside the fender. Take special note of the fact that the bolts have a "shelf" or stop ridge between the bolt cap and the threaded part. This is to make sure you do not crush the ABS plastic fender and crack it. If you add a reinforcing bracket to the inside of the fender as I did, YOU WILL HAVE TO ADD METAL WASHER/SPACERS INTO THE FENDER to keep from crushing it. The thickness of the spacers is just a little less than the fender thickness. Look at the original mounting bolt, put it into the fender and you will see the correct spacing required. You may wish to make up your own mounting system, but all I did was to put four 1/8" by 3/4" wide and about 2 inches long aluminum flat bar stock (two on each side forward and aft of the fender fork hump) on the inside of the fender as reinforcments using the same original fork fender bolts. The original hole in the fender is aprox 3/8" (i'm sure it is some metric number), this original hole is used to bolt the upper reinforcing bar hole to the fender. An additional hole is drilled through the fender EXACTLY one inch lower. Be precise in the placement of the new lower holes (4 new holes, two on each side), these holes effect the tilt forward and aft of the fender in relation to the wheel so measure them carefully. If you drill all of the support brackets the same (stack them) you should get the correct position of the fender. Drill the ABS plastice of the fender with a proper drill bit (wood bit with a wing tip - I used a 3/8th's bit and a very slight round fileing for the washers to fit) and use a wood backing block with a drill press to keep your work steady and solid. I would not reccommend "free hand" drilling as this could grab and jerk, probably cracking the Plastic of the fender. This is a fairly simple task as the fender will slide up and fit between the forks just fine.

The kick stand shoe extention was a simple drill through, taper counter sunk bolt up with one bolt being longer to go all the way through the kick stand shaft (see picture)
100cc and 125cc honda CB
350cc yamaha twin - 1970
160cc honda -1966 model
350cc honda CB 1970
350cc honda SL
650 Yamaha 1972
F650gs BMW 2007
Virago 750 Yamaha 1996