Thread: Done...I think!
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2018, 02:09 AM   #1
gzgeezer

Done...I think!

Hey Guys and Gals!
Sorry GZ purists, I had to do it
One long month of nights and weekends, it would have taken A LOT longer had it not been for all the awesome info from the smart folks here!

I won’t give you a blow by blow account, I welcome any questions about how I did what. In a nutshell:
The bike is an ‘04 with only 2500 miles. In spite of the low mileage it needed to have the brakes rebuilt, new tires, front wheel bearings and a few other repairs and maintenance doodads. That’s when I made the decision, “if I’m gonna tear it down this far, I’m going all the way”

I only wanted to fuss with the mechanicals that needed it so the engine, front end, bar controls and even the tank all remained in place throughout the build. Aside from the tires, brakes and such the bike ran like a champ, previous owner had the carb rebuilt.

Overall goal - homemade bobber look with a stock chassis
The bike is painted with Plasti Dip...good prep the stuff is awesome! It however does not like to be sprayed with the can pointed down, so the tank didn’t come out as good as I’d hoped (I peeled it all off and tried again but still not great. That’s the beauty of Plasti Dip). Other parts such as rear fender, front lights were painted hanging up. I’ll take off the tank and re-do when I’m bored...

Front lights and turns are for a Harley got off CL. Rear lights and turns, seat, license bracket, mirrors, pipe wrap, shorty pipe all of amazon for cheap. Air cleaner and jets from J&P. Air intake ‘elbow’ is a 2” pvc pipe from Home Depot painted with Plasti Dip. Battery mounting plate and tail light mounting plate are plumbing sheet metal from HD. Total investment (including the bike itself) about $1600 (and climbing lol).

Had to custom fab the intake, exhaust, battery relocation, seat and rear turn signal mounting, rear fender and rear lights. Rear fender is the stock rear fender support with the back half chopped off. Details details details

Enjoy the pics, hope y’all like it

Paul

Login or Register to Remove Ads