View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #14
BillInGA

Re: Denver to Atlanta

Wow, where has the time gone? I can't believe it's been almost six months since I finished up the Denver - Atlanta adventure.

My apologies for dropping off the radar like that. As soon as I got back I was elbow deep in a huge 4th quarter project at work. After that, I was just out of the routine of getting on the boards.

So, here are some follow up responses to the previous posts.

The Airhawk is different from a gel pad in that it creates no pressure points. It consists of multiple interconnected air chambers that automatically equalized the pressure across your entire seating area. To easy's point, I use the straps, but they're really not necessary for riding. The bottom of the cushion has plenty of friction to keep it from shifting. What the straps do is keep me from having to take the Airhawk with me whenever I stop.

I'm 47 and in reasonably good shape. I find that my ability to do long days is dependent on reducing fatigue as much as possible. 4 things that really make a difference for me are: 1) windshield; 2) earplugs or noise-attenuating earphones; 3) Airhawk; and 4) Throttle lock. I've done long rides on the GZ with none of these and my limit is about 200 miles. On my last leg returning to Georgia I did close to 600 - on the 3rd consecutive day of riding.

I really enjoyed getting into the rhythm of being on the road. Although I've been doing my weekend jaunts, I'm really looking forward to my next long trip. This one will be to El Paso, TX in mid-June for my 30th high school reunion. 1400 miles - I'm thinking about covering the distance in two days. Stay tuned...

Also, I'll post some photos of my seat pad and other mods presently.

Cheers,