View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
mrlmd1

inexpensive ammo can locks

For those of you looking for an inexpensive solution to locking ammo cans, this is what I came up with -
Drilling a hole in a 1" long 3/8" SS bolt to accommodate a small lock, threading the bolt through the can to lock down the latch.
It is sealed from any water intrusion using a hose washer on the outside of the can under a SS washer below the nut outside the can.
The pictures are self explanatory and make it easier to see rather than try and describe it.
The hardest part of the project is to drill through the hard SS bolt. You need a high speed metal drill but it only takes a minute or two, and the whole installation takes about 15 min. and only cost about $2.50 for the bolts, nuts, and washers, most of which I had laying around, and about $4 for the 2 locks which you have to get anyway.
I thought it was easier to do this than to enlarge the hole that exists in the latch to an oblong shape in order to accommodate a SS eyebolt that some others have done.
While the locks can undoubtedly be broken off if someone tries hard enough, it is secure enough for what it is. No matter how or what you lock up, if someone wants to get in, they will find a way.
And, I know, I have to paint the cans again and also lube the chain again.

Login or Register to Remove Ads