Thread: gz250 mileage
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #56
ArizonaKev

Re: gz250 mileage

Talk about irony... I had just read alantf's following post today :

Quote:
Switched to reserve, then only got 1 more mile out of it?

This seems to firmly point to the fact that the pipe has come off the petcock (in the tank)
....and I am riding home from work, looking at my trip odometer and thinking I am getting some FANTASTIC gas mileage, and wondering if I should stop at the next gas station - knew I was getting a little low. But I wasn't worried, figured I would just switch to reserve after it ran it. Well, it started sputtering, I switched to reserve - and it kept sputtering - and died. And stayed dead. Even after several attempts at starting.
At this point, I am thinking back to having read that very post just today, and thinking "don't tell me - the pipe has come off the petcock in my bike, causing there to be no real 'reserve' just like alan described. Fortunately, I stopped right next to a shop, where a fellow rider happened to be working. He came out and saw if I could use a hand, and I described this posting I had read. So he takes the gas cap off, leans the bike a little bit, and says "Yep - there it is, check it out." And sure as sh!t, there is that pipe, laying flat in the tank! I could hardly believe the irony...7
So, he lent me a gas can, I walked to the gas station about 1/4 mile away, got a couple of gallons, put it in, and the bike started right up. Thank God for small favors!

I had to post this in place of another post I had put up saying to simply 'slosh the tank around,' because obviously, that didn't work real well for me! So listen to what they say about checking the mileage and not counting on reserve... Better safe than sorry!

AZKev