Thread: Tire questions
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
mrlmd1

Tire questions

I recently got a '99 GZ250, has about 2950 miles on it, took the MSF course, etc, have been doing some local riding, practicing, etc, before I go into town or on the highway, getting my skills up. The tires have lots of good tread, barely used, but being 8-9 years old, have developed small cracks, crazing here and there, in the sidewalls, and are a little hard, from being outside. If this was in my car I wouldn't worry about it yet, but the smartest thing to do would be to get a new set put on the bike, as I don't want a tire failure at 50-60 mph. I'd love to buy these online because I'd probably save myself 25-40% of what the local Suzuki stealer or other bike shops charge, but then I'd probably have to search around for someone to change them out for me, and maybe pay for shipping (some sites have free shipping) and buy some tools, etc., so the cost may come out to the same thing.
I guess I could ask the bike shop if they'd put them on if I supplied them, but I doubt they would like that idea.
My other choice is to ride on these for a while, not knowing how long I'll keep this bike before possibly moving up to a bigger one sometime in the future (if a tire doesn't blow out on the road).
Any suggestions as to good inexpensive tires for this thing?
Does anyone have experience with H rated Cheng Shin tires, which are about $40-50 less than Dunlops or Bridgestones?

Thanks.

mrlmd is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Login or Register to Remove Ads