Thread: Log your rides
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #132
dwh367

Re: Log your rides

Went on my first extended trip (2 up) with the GZ back in September. We loaded both saddle bags and the sissybar bag and even though we were trying to pack light, we still had to bungee a duffel bag to the top of both the saddle bags. We weren't terribly overloaded though. We could still run 55 to 60 on level ground and the hills we could take at 45 to 50 in 4th. Most of the stuff we packed was bulky rather than heavy.

We rode from Owensboro, KY to Louisville, KY to see my step daughter off as she left for the Air Force (she has since developed a medical problem she didn't know she had and was released). The motel we stayed at was nice enough to let us park the bike up on their sidewalk where the desk clerks could see it from the window. We stayed in Louisville for a couple of days and did some sight seeing in our spare time. I was actually more comfortable in Louisville traffic on the bike more than I am in my car. The rain grooves on I-264 took some getting used to though. We found a bike gear store and got some pretty good deals on closeout since the riding season is coming to an end. (Wife got a leather vest and 2 do rags for $15.)

When we left Louisville we rode to Cave City, KY to visit a friend of ours. His girlfriend lives in Horse Cave, KY and she offered to let us stay at her cabin. On the way back to Owensboro, we got a late start and ending up making half the trip in the dark. I don't see well at night as the glare from oncoming headlights blind me even when looking off to the side. If it's just me on the road, I can see fine. Then we ran into some rain which in turn caused fog. By the time we got out of it, one couldn't have gotten my butt off the seat with a crowbar. The local biker hangout is only a half mile from the house so we decided to stop and unwind for a few minutes before calling the trip officially over. I guess what doesn't hurt or kill us just makes us more experienced

We were gone from Monday until Thursday and we both really enjoyed it. I can see more extended motorcycle trips for us in the future.