View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #34
alanmcorcoran

Re: A Harley Rider was NICE to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Had a rude rider pass me on the right side while I was making a left turn.
At least he passed you on the right when you were going left. I've had a few near misses with the impatient passing me on the right when I was going right, and on the left when going left. I wouldn't say I'm at 100% but I have gotten much, much better at (nearly) always checking with my head (not the mirrors) before I go to the left or right. A few times I've been surprised to see someone or something there that I was not expecting. My current habit I'm trying to tame is the tendency to look behind me for too long as I'm changing lanes and then, when I turn back to the front, discover the traffic has stopped (and I am inches from climbing up someone's bumper.) I've had two really close calls with this. Traffic out here seems like it can regularly go from 85 to 0 in a few seconds and if it happens when you are looking behind you it's at minimum gonna be a near miss. The Strat has fantastic brakes. The GZ, well it's a lot lighter and doesn't go as fast, but the brakes are not what I'd call fantastic.