View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
hugemoth

Re: Chinese GZ250 Clone

In 2007 4 friends and I bought low priced Chinese made Lifan 200cc dual sport bikes. We knew we were taking a chance on getting a piece of junk that wouldn't last a season but they have turned out to be great. Two and a half years later we've had zero problems. Mine now has 16,500 miles, at least half of that off road over rocks, ruts, and washboards. I trust it enough to ride it alone far from civilization in the wilds of eastern Oregon and Death Valley.

A few months after buying the Lifan I was riding with my daughter in Death Valley, she on her 71 Trail 90 with 7000 miles, I on the Lifan. The 90's engine quit with a big cloud of smoke when the cam bearing failed and a valve went through the piston. I bought 2 Lifan 110 engines for her bike and another one I had with a bad engine. These engines too have been perfectly reliable and run better than the original engines by far.

IMO, China is putting out some good quality stuff nowadays. Many people don't know that some Suzuki, Honda, and even BMW engines, and entire bikes are made in China. For $500 I can afford to take a chance on this bike. It's a simple bike and I'm an old and experienced motorcycle mechanic. Should the Hensim engine turn out to be junk, I can get the Lifan version of this same engine for a few hundred bucks and bolt it right in.

Q