View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
Kcarvajal

Installing a Harley Sportster Gas Tank on a GZ250 Part 2.

PART 2

C. Installing the fuel line.

If the new petcock is not on the left (more than likely not on the sporty tank unless it was manually moved or specially built), you will need the longer hose to run it from one side to the other.
1. Plan the route of the hose and measure to make sure it is long enough. Think gravity here, so ensure the fuel hose is somewhat vertical and fuel will run down, not in a horizontal portion of the hose. Also ensure it is not sitting on a part of the bike that gets hot… like the engine for obvious reasons. (To others- heat, fuel… you get the idea. )

2. Plug the vacuum hose intake right on the carb. I tried other steps of simply inserting a screw on the hose and did not work properly for me. Idle sounded like the engine was about to blow. Plug works perfect, highly worth the $1.99 from the store.

Plugged vacuum
[attachment=3:12vg04hh]IMG_20110710_101834.jpg[/attachment:12vg04hh]

3. Add the clamps to the hose for both the carb and petcock, insert and tighten both sides.
Hose on Petcock:
[attachment=2:12vg04hh]IMG_20110710_101842.jpg[/attachment:12vg04hh]

Hose on Carb:
[attachment=1:12vg04hh]IMG_20110710_101854.jpg[/attachment:12vg04hh]

4. Turn the petcock to the ON Position and inspect for leaks. Shake the bike left to right, etc.
5. Start the bike. You may have to fiddle with the mixture for the best idle by twisting the carb screw, whatever you call it.
6. Check your handlebar clearance. I had an issue with mine since I have a drag bar and would hit my tank when fully turned or locking the front-end.

SOLUTION: I popped spare sink valve nuts from a bathroom remodel project right on the handlebar stop (name?). Clearance problem solved, and I can lock the handlebar perfectly.
Pic below:
[attachment=0:12vg04hh]IMG_20110710_103012.jpg[/attachment:12vg04hh]

Other than the clearance problem and a rattling gas tank cap (which I will replace eventually) the tank works perfectly! As mentioned above, I have ridden this setup over 300+ miles mixed with stop/go and highways with NO issues. I hope some of you will find this useful. Just felt obligated to mention though, as seen in other how-to’s, I’d gladly help with questions you may have, but I will not be held responsible for any damage or injuries caused by these procedures and improper installation.

Next up, “How-to install a solo seat”.

Thanks!
Ken