View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 01:37 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
Thank you for the diagram. I plan on tackling this tommorow after work I just want to double check my understanding.

Since I do not have running lights I will only be using 1 of the 3 wires to conect to the wires (2) off of the aftermarket signals.

The B/W is the ground wire and I need to ground it to the frame?

I will have 1 unused wire on each side?

The bikes signal lights have 3 wires for the front signals. You will need to use 2 of these wires to get your new signals to work. One is the ground and the other comes from the flasher to make the signals flash. Get a test light(any cheap one will do) and find which wires have power. Turn on the key and your signal light. Clip the ground wire for the test light to the bike and use the pointy end of the test light to find the running light and signal light wires. The one with no power will be the ground of the bike harness for the signals. After you determine this, then cover or tape up the running light wire for safety. Two wires are left, connect them to the new lights. Don't hurry, take your time and all will work as planned.

You can test the test light for proper operation using the battery terminals. I have always done this to avoid frustration due to a faulty test light. Had the same test light for 45 years and never a failure.