Thread: Good day
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 04:06 AM   #26
alantf

Re: Good day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandmonkee
3. The friction point on my clutch is at the extreme end of the lever's travel, ie I barely have to pull in the lever to activate the clutch. This resulted in me shifting up and then revving the hell out of the engine because I thought I had fully released the clutch. Oops.
This suggests that the cable needs adjusting. It's probably never been adjusted since new, and all cables stretch over time. It should be adjusted so that there is a little free play at the outer end of the clutch lever, before the operating arm at the engine end starts to move. If the adjustment can't be done at the lever end, then you'll have to adjust it first at the engine end. It's a really simple job, and it sounds as though it wants doing before you ride again. You'll notice the difference immediately, & your ride will be much more enjoyable. :2tup:

EDIT:- I've just re read this, & I think I've got it the wrong way round. The cable has been OVER adjusted, so it needs slackening off. The way to do it, & the way to check it, still hold good.