View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #30
Road_Clam

Re: Front vs Rear Braking

There are a few standard and important "good" habits to exercise, such as downshifting approaching a normal stop. This allows engine braking to scrub off speed at a controlled rate. Braking shouls ALWAYS be performed with the bike vertical. I only use the rear brakes as an aid in helping to come to a more abrupt stop (or riding 2up). I personally do not keep my feet on the pegs until the very last stopping point. I favor the "walk" method for the last 5 feet or so. It's also VERY important to keep and eye in the mirrors for an approaching car from behind. Always keep your bike IN GEAR while stopped and allow yourself at least 10 ft of space from the car in front of you as this will allow a quick left or right exit if you are in fact seeing an approaching car at high speeds (Ie possibly getting rear ended). The only reason I tend to "walk" my bike to a stop is to ensure balance and secure footing when actually coming to a stop. I've seen so many riders come rolling to an "imbalanced" stop, and abruptly drop the bike on it's side. One can argue against my walk method, but it's worked perfect and secure for me for over 25 years.... so again to each his own..
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)