Thread: Power loss
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
This sounds like the classic case of plugged gas cap vent. Vacume in the tank cuts gas flow down to a trickle and doesn't keep enough in the float bowl to support sustained high speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Rogue
I'm about 3/4 through a tank of gas with Seafoam. I have seen no noticeable difference. I thought I would address the plugged fuel cap vents next. It doesn't suck air when it is parked and I open it, but being as it only happens at upper speeds I don't know how to test it. Is there a way to clean them out, or do I have to buy a new one. I really hope it is not the latter, that looks like about $60-$70.
Just went out and looked at my cap. It's a pain in the ass compared to the "flip caps" on most other bikes I've had. It doesn't seal until it is completely closed SO.......If you have an extra key, I would think that with 1/2 tank or less you should be able to leave it open 1/4-1/2 inch without fear of it coming out (mine is very tight until I get it all the way out) or any appreciable splashing.....if you ride mostly straight up with no sudden starts or stops. It looks like it comes apart with 2 screws but I decided not to look inside mine!

If that turns out to be the problem, I think I'd soak the whole cap for a while in some carb cleaner before dis-assembly or replacement.

If that is NOT the problem, the next thing I'd do is check for a vacume leak in the line going to the petcock, then check the screens. Think I heard they are on the fuel pickup inside the tank at the top of the petcock. Next would be float levels.

Good luck!