View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

First Impressions

After the first ride, all I can say is "WOW".

For those of you who think that first gear is useless, you need this new front sprocket.

I wasn't able to reach a higher top speed, but it wasn't because of the lack of engine. The extra mass of the sprocket must be holding back some of the GZ's punch, because there are plenty of revs left at 70mph. There just isn't enough grunt to carry it over the 70-75 mark quickly. I reached 75-78, but it took a while. This was on a slight incline of rolling road. IF I had a downhill, I have no dobut that I would have reached 90.

OK, the good stuff.

The gears are much more useable and cruising speed is increased without the vibration or buzziness.

1st gear is now capable of reaching 25+MPH without redlining
2nd gear will carry you to 30-35+. Again, without redlinig.
3rd gear is good for 40-46
4th gear can easily reach 60mph
5th gear will go on forever

It's important to note that these numbers come without having to goose the motor at all. These are all cruising speeds.

These numbers are'nt fantastic. However, anyone who spends a lot of time on the bike knows that the stock gearing isn't capable of reaching these speeds without frying the motor. I don't even think the stock gearing can do it while frying.

The most important part of the mod comes from the fact that riding on the highway(4 land roads) around 55-65 mph is no longer buzzy or nerveous.
The engine seems very smooth with this gearing in all gears and, again, I must stress that the increased speed comes with the engine doing less work.

I think this is a must do for anyone who spends a lot of time on the time or rides on speedier highways.

TOTAL COST= $18.95