Old 04-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #94
Easy Rider

Re: Stalling during first fifteen minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Carb makes the most sense to me.
NOW......the remaining question IS: Does anybody have a GZ where the idle does NOT vary a lot from cold to hot??
The answer is YES....and now I have one too.

Berryman's B12 Chemtool does wonders......expecially if you run some into the bowl full strength while you are putting a fuel filter into the gas line !!! :shocked:

The result was immediate and dramatic; ran the bike a bit, let it sit for 10 minutes and then drained it out. Now I have B-12 in the gas and it is running MUCH better. Back to 2-1/2 turns on the idle mixture screw and it runs MUCH better when cold, choke or no (choke required for only a few minutes like I remembered from a year ago).

After I get through this tankful with cleaner, I'll try to adjust the mixture screw again but I'm sure that 95% of my problem is solved.

Moral of the story: Use a good carb cleaner at the recommended rate at least twice a year.

First sign that you aren't doing it often enough (or you got some bad gas) is that the idle speed will be slow and erratic......or you have to leave the choke on longer than normal.