View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #40
Easy Rider

Re: Needle shim modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun
The reason I ask is that I just did the 16t sprocket mod and am having difficulty getting up the most simple of hills here in NE Georgia.
Well you may not be a good candidate for the 16T
.....OR......
you just need to "adapt" your riding style a bit.

IIRC, you can do 50 mph with no sweat in 4TH gear and even 60 for short periods. That gives you a jump on 5th and might solve most of your problem. You also need to learn to anticipate the hills and build up a little extra speed going in. I found that I could pull most hills in 5th but had to run it up to 60-65 going IN to be able to maintain 55 going up.

If you change to something like a K&N filter, you should consider doing ALL the power mods; needle shim, jet change and idle air adjustment........but even with all three, most folks don't notice much difference. If you are not experienced in working with carbs, I would recommend that you NOT try it yourself. The actual changes are fairly simple but getting it all back together right can be somewhat of a challange.

P.S. As there are NO hills to speak of in Illinios, my experience was on a trip to Atlanta. There were some places that I had to run in 4th.....but not many....if there was no traffic pushing me to go more than 50.