View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
alanmcorcoran

Re: A Brave Boy's Ride - Jawbone OHV Trails (Photo/Video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Alan, I used to have the entire Dune series. It was exceptional in many ways IMO but then they made a movie of it and killed my interest in the whole thing. Sometimes the written word is best.
I never saw it in full but if memory serves Sting was in it and that would sour me on it as well. I was a bigtime science fiction reader in junior and (regular) high school but eventually I migrated towards what I guess is called "literature." Still read the occasional collection of SF stories though. SF is kind of like reading junk food, and every once in a while you come across something particularly tasty.

With the exception of the Matrix (first one only!), Blade Runner and maybe Total Recall, the movie versions of these things rarely live up to my expectations. It's a thrill, though, when they do.

Edit: (Actually, now that I think I about it, I don't know if I ever read Matrix. The other two were Philip K. Dick adaptations, as was the somewhat disappointing Minority Report and the kind of oddball "Scanner Darkly")

Login or Register to Remove Ads