Thread: My $568 gz250
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #1
Agove

My $568 gz250

I picked this 2007 up 2 days ago for 500 bucks with 1700 miles, and the previous owner said it had electrical issues. All I knew was that he said he replaced the stator, but the bike didn’t run. I put it in 5th gear, rolled it around to make sure the engine was free, and l handed him the money then loaded it in my truck. The next day I tried to start it with a battery out of my other bike. It would want to crank over, but would stop about 1 second into it. It sounded like the starter had a load on it. So I pulled the stator cover to look at the starter gears and everything looked fine. Then I decided to try and crank it with the cover off to see what was going on. When I hit the start button it cranked right over with ease. A little more digging and I found that when the previous owner swapped the stator, he used gasket maker instead of an actual gasket. The gasket maker just squeezed out and it was basically metal to metal leaving no room between the rotor, and the stator cover which was causing it to drag, creating a load. A new gasket and 13 bucks later the bike turned over and fired up on the first try. Then I went to advanced auto, bought a 55 dollar batter, charged it up, and went for a ride. 568 dollars into a perfect running and riding bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Agove; 04-17-2020 at 07:15 PM.