View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Re: Love my 2001 GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana_GA
Uh Oh! I was told by several people that using a brillo pad would remove the rust .......
Lots of people in general have some mistaken concepts that are hard to get out of your mind once they are in there; the people who frequent here are not different. I think we have discussed this before.............

IF you used the original Brillo, which is just a steel wool pad with soap then you will be fine and our English friend from Spain is just having a brain cramp !! :roll:

You have to push REAL hard for steel wool to damage chrome.....as the chrome is much harder than the wool. 000 or 0000 plain steel wool is even less likely to scratch and is a better choice than Brillo.....and cheaper too.

Any good auto wax/polish or chrome polish will work.......but it won't be a permanent solution and you will have to "touch it up" occasionally with more polish......or a touch of the steel wool again if you don't do it often enough.

AND......you want to be careful with cleansers too because many contain tiny pieces of ground up ROCK (like volcanic pumice) and WILL scratch chrome if rubbed too hard. BarKeepers Friend is OK 'cause it doesn't have any rock in it.