View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #14
3-D Video

Re: Road trip San Diego CA to Albuquerque NM

I'm a bit of a minimalist. With that in mind, here's what I'd be taking:
Cell phone. Turn it off when you aren't checking messages.
The usual spare bulbs and fuses.
Whatever toiletries you need to keep happy.
Some dried fruits and nuts to munch between stops.
One of the mechanical things you'll need to be prepared to fix along the way is a blown tire. For that I'd recommend carrying a patch kit, a mechanical foot or engine-air pump (since you have two cylinders), two or three tire levers, a valve core wrench (and an extra valve core or two), and something to pull the nail/glass/splinter out of your tire with.
Having owned a few VWs, I'm not comfortable driving in hot thin air without an oil temp gauge (mine's a MOTO-DETAIL, about $35). Though, if AZKev says it's not necessary, then it probably isn't.
Separate shirt, slacks, and shoes for those all-important meetings… Be aware that the Arizona campus is a pretty conservative place.
Some ethanol and a bandana will take care of most first aid problems which might arise, and make for a pretty effective body parts cleaner when you can't find a shower.
A down coat, warm hat/balaclava, long johns, and some Grabber® body and toe warmers will make a sleeping bag unnecessary. A poncho pretty much eliminates any need for a tent. I doubt you'll need to insulate your self from the ground, so I'd pass on carrying some bulky pad.
A couple of cans of self-heating coffee or soup can be a real pleasure in the wee morning hours.
Last, but certainly not least, water! I once got stranded for 3 days outside of Gila Bend, so let me reiterate… Water!