View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #21
BaronVonMortimer

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnastvogel View Post
The normal procedure for testing the starter is to bypass that relay by jumping the terminals and seeing if it turns. Since you're having electrical issues to begin with, you could just jump the starter directly with your battery. First disconnect your battery. With jumper cables, hook power up to the terminal on the top of the starter and then touch the ground to the side of it. If it turns, it's fine. If not, there may be a bad brush in there. I read in an earlier post that you heard a click when you tried to start it, which usually indicates a bad starter.

To test the ignition switch, first disconnect the pigtail and put a bit of dielectric grease on each of the connections, plug it back in and see if it works. If it doesn't, back probe each wire in each key position and make sure it's putting out the proper voltage. Start with the power supply to make sure power is going to the switch. I read in an earlier post that the parking light works, so you're probably getting power to the switch.

By the way, it is in neutral, right?

You sir, are a saint. Thank you for the help. :-)
(Btw, yes, it is in neutral).
I just did the starter bypass and I got nothing.
If the starter is bad, would that keep the neutral light from coming on?
Should I just replace the starter?
I don't have much $ so I am trying to be sure about it before I go and spend $$$ on parts.
Speaking of which, can you recommend a good website to buy a starter from?
I am so greatful for your shared wisdom.

Login or Register to Remove Ads