View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #44
Easy Rider

Quick summary and appology

Sorry this took so long. Been trying to catch up with "stuff" from being gone two weeks.
The trip was GREAT. Heat was a little problem. Learned to start early and quit about 1pm.
Seat was a little problem, even with the gel pad. Had to stop every 40 minutes or so and stretch (and drink!).

Except for the "false alarm" with a non-existent oil leak and the strap caught in the rear sprocket, the bike performed flawlessly. Got about 72 mpg for the trip overall. That's with a 16T front sprocket and averaging about 55 mph on 2-lane roads.

With about 5K miles now the bike seems to run a little bit better......as others have reported. On a relatively flat stretch of road with no signigicant head wind, I can make 65 pretty easy and can get 70 but it takes a LONG time. I no longer feel as apprehensive about Interstates as I once did. I would still NOT get on a freeway in a major city (were people drive like idiots) nor would I venture out on some of the "long haul" roads also known for excess speed (I-80, I-70) but most rural Interstates should be OK (in the absence of a strong head wind or mountains).

Glad I got to meet John in Kennesaw. I do like that reddish shade of black!!
Sorry I missed Rusty Rider and Jonathan. Maybe next time.