View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 02:10 AM   #15
alanmcorcoran

Re: Cramps between the shoulder blades below the neck...

I only tucked under the shield for a minute or so, to see what it felt like wind wise.

But the rest of the time, I am leaning forward a bit. Sometimes more so than others. Given the geometry of the bike, I am not sure I can consistently sit straight up. But I can certainly give it a try next time out.

I think I know what my traps are (I work them out with dumbbell shrugs, right? And, for the record, my traps are A) awesome, and B) not what I think hurts.) I looked up rhomboids on Wikipedia (and they sort of look like a continuation of traps...WTF?) but, those DO look like the problem area.

Also, I do appreciate (and listen to) the advice, but you should realize that when a patient argues with you, it's not because we think we know more than you, it's becuase we think you haven't correctly diagnosed our problem. I understand that you have a lot more knowledge in this area, but you will never know my body and my aches and pains as well as I do. I'm not lumping you in with other experiences I've had with doctors, but I will say about half the medical advice I've been given and followed actually has made matters worse, sometimes drastically so. Typically, my worse experiences have resulted from taking a pill instead of focusing on what caused my pain in the first place. (So I'm glad you did not recommend I pop a few Advil!)

Originally, my assumption is that my (rhomboids?) are too weak and perhaps I could strengthen them. Maybe that is not possible or practical. I will see if I can alter my position on the bike (I also suffer a bit from habit - 15 years of "flat back" positioning on the bicycle - a position akin to laying on the gas tank and cranking your head out straight - guess I have to get away from anything remotely close to that now that I'm not using my legs to make the thing go.)

Anybody using ape bars?

Login or Register to Remove Ads