View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 11:48 PM   #13
alanmcorcoran

Re: Joshua Tree National Park

Yeah, biz, we gassed up at the same place. I paid the five bucks at the entrance. This introduced Yet Another Tricky Motorcyle Maneuver:

The entrance is on a slight uphill. You pull up to a little window. Normally, when I pull up to something, I have both hands on the bars and both feet on the ground. Well, you can't fish five bucks out of your pocket with both hands on the bars. Since I have not got in the habit of shifting into neutral, I had to keep my clutch hand on, which meant I had to let go of the brake, which means I had to one foot it, cause I had to use the rear brake. I almost pulled it off, but, I had to bring my brake hand over to the clutch to get my glove off - and that's when I treated everyone in the booth to my horn. I didn't realize it was me right away - my thumb I used to pull off my glove also was pushing on the horn. Not sure if you guys have ever heard the horn on a Strat, but it's reminiscent of of 1950 Buick. The lady in the booth thought it was an impatient driver until I told her it was me.

I think my weather was nicer than yours. Not sure if you made it up to Key View point, but it was kind of chilly up there on Sat. Snow patches all around. But sunny all day and overall a pretty good ride. Did you ride through the whole park or just the north loop? I came out on the 10 about 22 miles east of Indio. A book I have recommended a continuation to the 111 but I was already running late and wanted to get home before it got fully dark out.

Login or Register to Remove Ads