View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 12:47 AM   #19
alanmcorcoran

Re: Toy Hauler Loading, Towing and other $hit that can go wr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
... so why do you need to take the Strat just for tooling around....
'Cause I'll be tooling around with her on the back of it.

I should say though, the Strat is quite appropriate for general tooling around. I'm not comfortable with it on dirt or loose gravel and I get a little clenchy when I have to negotiate steep, sharp hairpins, but, despite its size and weight, it actually handles pretty good in twisties - even with two people on it. I'm still pretty early on in my cornering skill development but I can comfortably go 10-15 miles an hour over the "signage" and suspect, if I master a little more of the Keith Code stuff, I could do better. Loading it and unloading it seem to be one area of potential aggravation - if the trailer is facing even a tiny bit downhill I'm screwed. It is extremely difficult to back the thing up even slightly uphill. But I think I've set my sights sufficiently low, so that, as long as I don't wrap it (and us) around the grille of a semi, I'll consider the trip a success.

I definitely do not intend to ride the thing alongside on the freeway. One thing I've kind of come around to - anything more than an hour of freeway is more than I really care to do. I only do more out of necessity, not for enjoyment. Right now I get the most fun out of the sweepers, climbing esses, scenic routes, etc. Barrelling along at 85 in a straight line for three or four hours may be character building, but I'd rather not if its an option.