Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
bergstrom25

what happens...

What happens when the bolts of the exhaust manifold mounts fell/broke off the clamps of the left side of the muffler at the head? Would the bike be rideable? The muffler has two pipes coming down to one on the right side (dont know the name of this tytpe) and the left clamp is tight, only a slight leak on the right. Plz and thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: what happens...

You'll have an exhaust leak. The bike won't run quite right. It creates a lean condition on exit and over time can burn up your exhaust valve.
You just need to get some replacement bolts if the original bolt can be removed. If it's just loose, then tighten it up. If it's broken, then I would take it to a machine shop and see if they can remove it for you, if you don't feel like you can do it yourself.

You can ride the bike like this in the short term if you HAVE to, but you need to get it fixed. I'm not kidding about burning valves.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
bergstrom25

I've got a shop that can remove the bolt stuck in it, just waiting for payday (which thank goodness is today and wednesday). I threw on another bolt and adjusted the torque so the mount is covering most of it. Hopefully can have it repaired during the weekend while I'm out of town. It just sucks, its my only transportation and both my jobs are on the island, which is a quite a commute from in- town Corpus Christi (no public trans to the island or i'd be all over it). I've got some wrenches and a spare bolt on me now at all times in case she decides to loosen up on me again. But yes, I NEED to get fixed A.S.A.P. I appreciate your knowledge good sir. I'm learning as I go I suppose. As I said before, I'm gonna go ahead and grab a newer (used) muffler if I can, so I can knock out the labor cost one time instead of tapping the stuck bolt, and then throwing on the new muffler later, which I believe both involve taking the head off.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

You shouldn't have to pull the head, and neither should your mechanic. A good quality drill and bit should be all the guy needs to do the job if you don't want to do it your self.

That area gets incredibly hot and those little bolts can seize themselves in there. You may want to put some anti-seize on the new bolts. They shouldn't loosen themselves up all that often. If you are worried about it then just check the torque on the bolts every couple of weeks until you feel confident that they aren't slowly loosening and then check them every month or so. With a proper exhaust manifold gasket, even a loose bolt won't allow the leak.

If it was me, I would keep the exhaust that you have, get the bolt fixed, order a new exhaust gasket and be on your way. The machinist shouldn't charge you more than a few dollars and the gasket is like $8. That's a whole lot cheaper than new everything.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
blaine

When I fixed mine I put studs in so you don't need to worry about them again.