Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 04-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
GZ250

Engine Oil

Recently there was some posts about engine oil so I did my search as Shell Rotella T was recommended on this site I started using this oil as it was not "Energy Saving" but they changed their label on the 1g can and now it says T6 full synthetic (energy protection). I was wondering so I checked their site and it say it is energy saving.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?sit ... etail.html

I did use this once last time and I did not notice any clutch slipping or anything unusual. My question is.

So we cannot use this anymore and by the way where exactly this energy saving mentioned?

Thanks
PS.
Castrol Syntec SAE 10w-40 full synthetic is another suggestion.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
bonehead

Re: Engine Oil

On the back of the bottle is a round circle with the api rating and the bottom half would have wether it is ener. cons. or not. If it is, it will have it printed in the bottom half.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

The T6 is energy saving compared to regular old dino Rotella 15-40 and it better be too. Also look for a JASO spec on the jug. If there is a JASO in the specs then it will work in a bike. Riders have been using dino Rotells for years with great results which translates to no problems. Both bikes and my Ranger drink dino every 5000 kms.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The T6 is energy saving compared to regular old dino Rotella 15-40 and it better be too. Also look for a JASO spec on the jug. If there is a JASO in the specs then it will work in a bike. Riders have been using dino Rotells for years with great results which translates to no problems. Both bikes and my Ranger drink dino every 5000 kms.
The T6 has the JASO spec,so it is safe to use.JASO means that it is compatible for wet clutch.
:cool:

Old 04-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
GZ250

Thanks

I looked for JASO and found these articles that cleared things for me and would help others like me.

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles ... _facts.htm

Old 04-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Good find GZ 250. The one thing that I noticed is the statement about heat and oil breakdown. Dino oil will breakdown sooner due to extreme heat. So thinking this is a warning of sorts I am glad Lynda's GZ had synthetic oil in it while we had it in the family. Liquid cooled engines are temp governed by a thermostat so a dino oil is just fine in them. Both of our liquid cooled bikes run dino Rotella and perform very nicely.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
blaine

Quote:
Good find GZ 250. The one thing that I noticed is the statement about heat and oil breakdown. Dino oil will breakdown sooner due to extreme heat. So thinking this is a warning of sorts I am glad Lynda's GZ had synthetic oil in it while we had it in the family.
I use Amsoil 10-40 full synthetic.When I sold my G.Z. it had 46000 hard kms on it,and it still ran like new.I would rather spend a couple bucks more and not worry about the oil not standing the stress & heat.I use synthetic oil in my Kawasaki because it is a high revving engine,even though it's water cooled.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

I gave up on Amsoil after the last price increase. By the time I get enough oil and a couple filters for the bikes the cost is about $175. That is just plain retarded. Gotta love those Canadian prices.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
blaine

Quote:
I gave up on Amsoil after the last price increase. By the time I get enough oil and a couple filters for the bikes the cost is about $175. That is just plain retarded. Gotta love those Canadian prices.
My 454 holds 3 liters plus filter,around $50.00.The beauty of the G.Z. about half that.