Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-18-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
molly

Saddlebags and Sissy bar

Anyone know where i can get reasonably priced saddlebags and/or a sissy bar for my GZ? Saddlebags do not need to be real leather. Seems Suzuki brand add ons are too expensive! And i spent all i could afford on the bike! (and THEN some!) I need to have a way to pack things up and commute to work. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks in advance!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Saddlebags and Sissy bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly
Anyone know where i can get reasonably priced saddlebags and/or a sissy bar for my GZ? Saddlebags do not need to be real leather. Seems Suzuki brand add ons are too expensive! And i spent all i could afford on the bike! (and THEN some!) I need to have a way to pack things up and commute to work. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks in advance!!!
AFAIK, only Suzuki makes accessories specifically for the GZ. :sad:

However you might be able to satisfy your hauling requirements some other way.
A magnetic tank bag or an athletic bag strapped to the rear seat or even a backpack.
Any "universal" saddle bags would work but without the bag supports, you need to be REAL careful how you mount them to be sure they don't get tangled in the back wheel.

Good luck and welcome!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
molly

Yep, I have been thinking about these alternatives. If I ride to work, I need to take a cooler (small soft side) containing my breakfast and lunch, as well as a change of clothes. I work in an office, and will wear jeans to ride to the office, and will have to change once I arrive. I am thinking about riding with a backpack. Is this a bad idea?

Old 06-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly
I am thinking about riding with a backpack. Is this a bad idea?
No.....maybe..... :roll:

A lot of people do it, mostly on bicycles. It's OK as long as you don't overload the pack. It may, however, have some affect on the riding dynamics, as if you suddenly gained 30 pounds. I'd suggest you make a test run some evening first.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
I hauled an xbox 360 in a backpack for over an hour .. didnt affect any riding. Just got a little heavy after a while. If you wanna affect your riding, put a passenger on the back or load only one saddlebag with 40lb ...

With the GZ, i used to use a backpack, but just would put my stuff in it and then used a bungee net to secure it to the back seat. Could carry a gallon of milk, 2 1/2 gallons of tea and a few other items in there. Never had a problem with it moving.

Suzuki isnt the only one making items for the GZ. MC Enterprises also makes much cheaper sissy bars and luggage racks. As for bags, you can use almost any one you find. Just keep it 15" or less wide and 11" or less in height and they will fit. Get ones that have a RIGID hard plastic sidewall. They will not go into your tire or 'fly up' at high speeds. One end will rest on the shocks keeping out of harms way. I also used zip ties to secure it a little more. Or get saddlebag supports off ebay.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 06-19-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
molly

You guys are always so helpful! I was thinking of taking a casual ride with the backpack on, just to be sure i felt safe with it on. If i use a bungee net to strap something to the back seat, what to i clamp the bungee net to? I do not think i should run it under the fender. I know alot of people that have had bad wrecks that way. I think i need to get out the bike, study the body, and see where i could strap things to securely. Thanks for the advice.....if anyone has any other ideas, lemme know!
Old 06-19-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
Gadzooks Mike

Molly, I have saddle bags, but also have a small, plastic crate (maybe 8 inches by 6 inches square and about 6 inches high) fastened to the passenger seat with bungee cords. I put my lunch in there for the trip to work because it's easier.

As for fastening bungee cords, if the ends are thin, you can hook them under the chrome strip below the passenger seat. You can also pass one under the seat and use it to fasten top cords to. Someplace (I have a catalog at home - if I remember I'll look it up) makes a piece of leather with several metal rings attached. The entire thing fits under the passenger seat and the rings are used to attach bungee cords.

But you're right, do NOT hook them to the fender!!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #8
Gadzooks Mike

Found it Molly. It's from JP Cycles.

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.as ... All&page=4
Old 06-19-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Well i used one of those bungee 'nets' specifically made for motorcycles. I have never heard of one causing an accident. Honestly the plastic hooks on the fender were further away from the tire than the saddlebags were. Just gotta make sure its nice n tight. Used that net for the past year and a half now. Holds everything from jackets to helmets to backpacks. I even have two of them, one larger for helmets and one smaller for jackets n things.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 06-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
Well i used one of those bungee 'nets' specifically made for motorcycles. I have never heard of one causing an accident.
Not sure but I think he meant "don't hook things to the fender because it is plastic and relatively flimsy". At least that why I wouldn't hook anything there.