Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 01-13-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
ll666

Have you ever rode with a passenger?

Lately I have been on the hunt for a new bike, I have read every review and sit tested every bike I am interested in, but the best damn looking small bike by far is easily the GZ250 ..... Not to mention it sits like a bigger bike, I dont feel cramped at all at 5'9.

Anyways, I will be using it for city riding (Calgary, AB, Canada) but am having trouble trying to find any real reviews of people riding this bike 2up (passenger).
Anyone have any experience on the power 2up?

Basically I will need to be able to go 62mph/100kph at times, which I know the GZ250 on its own can easily do, but what about with a passenger?
Just need to make sure before I make the purchase for the upcoming summer :chop:

p.s. Our combined weight is under 300lbs... if that helps.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-13-2007, 05:50 PM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
I ran 2 up with it a few times. Mostly on flat roads but it was fine. I really didnt notice any major drop in power. Didnt really hit any hills so i cant help there, but it IS only a 250cc lol. But yea, it does fine and our combined weight was 350+. I had no complaints about the bike in that aspect.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 01-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
redhead

Same here, use the bike for my daily commute and often drop herself off at work on my way in. Bike handles grand through traffic and will hit 100 to 110kmh happily enough, maybe even above it going downhill with a good strong wind on my back. Give it a test ride if you can :2tup:

Old 01-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
Badbob

I have not ridden with a passenger but I have ridden near 300 mile trips with all my camping gear for a week on the bike. i weigh around 240lbs geared up. I don't know how much the camping gear, tools and clothing weighed but I'm sure it was around 100lbs. This should sort of simulate carrying a passenger. It changes the the handling noticeably. It's harder to turn and it just feels different in the corners. Be sure to adjust tire pressure accordingly as well as preload on the shocks. Since I'm heavy already and never leave the house without cargo of some kind on the bike I keep my preload at maximum.

Can I maintain 100kph with all this on my bike? Based on my experience yes with some exceptions.
  • Flat ground no head wind. The GZ250 will easily do this.
  • Flat ground stiff headwind. Headwind = any wind that isn't behind you. Yes in fourth gear.
  • Hills with no wind. Small hills more like big bumps if you get my drift. Yes with gear changes for steeper hills.
  • Hills with headwind. Possible depending on conditions but you are going to need to work for it.
  • Mountains and steep hills. Maybe depending on how steep but in general it ain't happening.

I'm not trying to chase you away from a GZ250. You can do this but you will be pushing the limits of the GZ250.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
ll666

Thanks for all the comments here... Couldn't find this forum after I posted in it :oops:
Anyways, I almost purchased myself a new Suzuki S40 today as I was looking at the extra power, but when I was at the dealers I just kept thinking how beautiful the GZ250 is and how much I could save if I found myself a used one.

So I walked out :tongue:

On the hunt for a used black GZ250 now...... wish me luck!

The 2up riding sounds better, we actually weigh about 250lbs altogether, so like one big guy :neener:
Really hoping to find myself a nice used one before summer, its been my dream bike for a while now.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:27 AM   #6
Dupo

I didnt even ask, have you ridden before or are you returning to riding after being off one for a considerable amount of time?

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 01-17-2007, 07:46 AM   #7
Bill

No doubt about it the GZ250 is the nicest in its class. However, it is a 250cc and the frame size is not really comfy for 2-up unless for shorter rides around town. Be sure to stiffen the shocks if you do.

Buy what fits you! For that matter take your intended passenger in with you so both of you can sit on it to see how it feels. Yes, after a few miles on it together it might feel a little different but at least you get a general idea.

Cheers!
Old 01-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #8
ll666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
I didnt even ask, have you ridden before or are you returning to riding after being off one for a considerable amount of time?
Yes I have done some riding before, and have the riding course under my belt. Only been off for about a year, but also only been riding for a few years before that. So somewhat beginner, but not fresh to riding...

Will take the 2up slowly, no worries there

The rides will only be very short trips.. 10-20mins max.
She weighs about 110... Little one. Be like adding luggage :tongue:
Old 01-17-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
Dupo

You'll be fine then

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 01-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #10
Bill

Sounds like you're good to go on the GZ250. At 5'9" and only a "Little Bit" on the back for short trips you should be fine and fairly comfortable. She should learn how to be a safe riding partner/passenger. There are wrong things to do as a passenger that are not safe.

My "Little Bit" (5'3") rides her own GZ250 so I don't have to worry about 2-up. For that matter she refuses to ride on the back of anyones bike (including mine) nor will she allow anyone to ride on the back of hers (including me). Not real trusting that anyone will handle the bike well or know how to be a passenger.

Be safe