Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 11-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
TXtwowheeler

Brakes Help

The front brakes on my GZ 250 make some noise when I'm rolling without the brakes engaged. When I engage the brakes, they stop firmly, and they don't make any noise. Then the noise quits for a while, and then comes back again. It's not very loud. It's just the pads rubbing lightly on the disk from time to time when the brakes are not engaged. I can hear it occasionally at low speeds. The disk is not grooved.

I have 6,000 miles on it. The thickness of the pads is a little more than a nickel, but a little less than the thickness of a nickel plus a dime. On a car it would be time to change, but I don't know how thick the pads on a bike should be.

As always, my issue is in multiple parts:

Part one: When is it time to replace the front pads?

Part two: I've replaced pads on cars many times. Is it significantly different to do it on a bike? It looks pretty simple, but is there any surprise waiting for me?

Thanks guys, for all the sound advice to a novice biker.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
Sarris

Re: Brakes Help

You replace them when they're thin and noisey. It sounds like it's time to do yours. It's really easy, just check the manual.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
TXtwowheeler

I'm off to buy pads.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
IRingTwyce

Location: Graham, TX & Houma, LA ... I commute. Holy crap! You sure can type a lot of stuff in this spot!

I just ordered a set today from O'Reilly's. Got sick of the squeaking too.

[center:h2j5ojxn]'01 Suzuki GZ
(Coming soon) '02 V-Star 1100 Silverado
'06 Hyundai Azera Limited Ultimate
'98 Contour SVT
'98 Contour SE
[/center:h2j5ojxn]
Old 11-09-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
GZ250

any noise from front wheels near brake pads means it needs new pads, its simple and easy but be careful to part the two old pads before removing them to install the new ones as the are under hydraulic pressure. under search look for the thread "while changing front brake pads in GZ250".

Old 11-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ250
any noise from front wheels near brake pads means it needs new pads,
That is just simply NOT true. WAY too general a statement.

There are several reasons for noise from disk pads that do not mean they are worn out. A lot of Suzuki bikes have front brakes that make noise when they are applied since their first day on the street; brand new. It's because of the kind of pads they use. The GZ is one of those models.

If the noise changes, gets louder or is noticeable when the brakes are NOT applied, then it is time for an inspection but not an automatic pad replacement. A simple cleaning might solve the problem.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
TXtwowheeler

Since mine have a slight rubbing when not braking, and the braking surface is just thicker than a nickel, I think it's time to change them. Since they are not down to the metal, and the braking response is good, I will continue riding until they come in. However, if they get worse before the pads come in, I'll (grudgingly) commute in my cage for about 8 times the fuel cost.

Many thanks to all for responding.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtwowheeler
Since mine have a slight rubbing when not braking, and the braking surface is just thicker than a nickel, I think it's time to change them.
I think so too. On a cage, a squeeking noise when not braking is usually a sign that they are worn down to the wear indicators, which are supposed to make a squeeling noise. Wonder if bike pads have that feature too ??