Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 11-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
spydernz

Park Lamp/Light

Hey all,
Quick question needing help.
Cannot figure out Park lamp issues, just gone to get bike cert and prob with headlights but resolved by terminal cleaner on connector,
the switch offers 3 positions Off and 2 on positions. The last position functions the headlamp, all good and working, the middle only functions the rear tail lamp,
from memory the head lamp did have a dimmed park lamp but now Im doubting my self.
Does this second position offer a headlamp thats dim as well as a tail lamp or just the tail lamp?
any advise correction or pointers would be awsome.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Park Lamp/Light

I think it's just the tail lamp. A fairly useless feature as it mainly serves to accidently drain the battery to zero.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

The other position is just for the tail light when parked, no power is fed to the headlight and all other systems are also off. The actual run position powers up the entire bike for riding.

Oh yah, don't ask Alan how he found out about draining the battery. lol :lol:

Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
spydernz

thanx for the replies, got the cert and all good, different guy this time and all good. I can stop destroying my wiring loom to firgure it out why something that doesnt exist doesnt work lol.
I know im mad but was hoping not that mad hahahaha.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:12 AM   #5
dannylightning

i have left the tail light on a few times now, fist time i did it i thought something was wrong, did not know bikes had that feature. since the bike dosen't have emergency flashers i guess they think the tail lamp will make due.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:51 AM   #6
alantf

On the European model, when you turn the ignition key off, there is an extra position for if you want parking lights on. This turns on the tail light & also an extra (small) bulb in the headlamp cover. Does the American model have only the headlamp bulb in there? Incidentally, the newer models don't have a separate switch to turn the lights on/off like the earlier models did.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
On the European model, when you turn the ignition key off, there is an extra position for if you want parking lights on. This turns on the tail light & also an extra (small) bulb in the headlamp cover. Does the American model have only the headlamp bulb in there? Incidentally, the newer models don't have a separate switch to turn the lights on/off like the earlier models did.
North American models only have the rear position light, nothing in the front end normally except maybe an exotic European bike. The separate headlight switch went away in the late 70's for most bikes in N.A. Had a lot to do with laws governing safety issues and cagers being blind.
Interestingly enough Greyhound Bus lines went to a headlights on rule in the early 60's on all of their fleet in N.A. Their accident rate dropped 50%. How the heck do you not see a bus ?
Old 11-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
North American models only have the rear position light, nothing in the front end normally except maybe an exotic European bike. The separate headlight switch went away in the late 70's for most bikes in N.A. Had a lot to do with laws governing safety issues and cagers being blind.
Interestingly enough Greyhound Bus lines went to a headlights on rule in the early 60's on all of their fleet in N.A. Their accident rate dropped 50%. How the heck do you not see a bus ?
when i lived in phoenix az the drivers were terrible. i saw 3 incidents where cars had wrecked in to a buss, one of them was 3 cars and a buss pile up and i saw a buss come around a corner and smash up a car. i was driving the fedex truck out there and i would see numerous accidents every day. phoenix has the worst drivers. one wreck i saw was pretty crazy, people ejected out of the car and lying in the street. another one a car hit the center divider in the road, the front end came up off the ground went over the divider and landed on the hood of another car that was on the other side of the road
Old 11-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Sounds like a city to avoid. I drove transit buses for 6.5 years and saw some really strange stuff happen. Watched a car hit a stationary bus head-on. The car driver had a good excuse though, he was busy having a heart attack. He lived to everyone's relief.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:01 AM   #10
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
i have left the tail light on a few times now, fist time i did it i thought something was wrong, did not know bikes had that feature. since the bike dosen't have emergency flashers i guess they think the tail lamp will make due.
No, the idea is that if you park at night on an unlit road, other vehicles can see you from a greater distance. In England, the law says that if you park any vehicle within 5 yards of a junction, or park anywhere on a road that has a speed limit greater than 30 mph, at night, you must show front & rear lights.